Beckhoff is expanding its AA3000 electric cylinder series with the AA3100 devices which are designed to be a drop-in replacement for hydraulic or pneumatic actuators. The electric cylinders provide the force, dynamics and compactness required for linear motion applications.
Features of the AA3100 electric cylinders include:
- fully integrated mechanism for compact design
- ISO 15552 flange size to ease installation
- ability to customize to suit specific application requirements
- extra-low voltage range from 24-48V DC.
Two Electric Cylinder Options to Meet Application Needs
The first devices available in the AA3100 line are the AA3123 and AA3133 electric cylinders. By combining the advantages of a pneumatic cylinder with the benefits of servo technology, these electric cylinders are able to provide controlled positioning, safe holding at a standstill and high efficiency.
Both electric cylinders feature an extra-low voltage range of 24-48V DC, enabling their use in a range of applications including compact drive technology. The AA3123 and AA3133 are available in two variants, offering different force and speed capabilities:
- 5,300 N peak force, 1,300 N continuous force and 0.28 m/s maximum speed.
- 2,650 N peak force, 650 N continuous force and 0.56 m/s maximum speed.
- 12,500 N peak force, 2,800 N continuous force and 0.12 m/s maximum speed.
- 6,000 N peak force, 1,400 N continuous force and 0.24 m/s maximum speed.
Benefits Over Hydraulics and Pneumatics
Use of the electric cylinders in place of hydraulic or pneumatic options helps to improve energy efficiency and reduce floorspace as fewer components are required and the cylinders are capable of operating in a more efficient manner than fluid power alternatives. The risk of leaks, common with hydraulic actuators, is eliminated as well which benefits safety.
Replacement of hydraulic or pneumatic actuators is simplified as the electric cylinders feature an ISO 15552 flange size and bolting points on both sides. An external thread mount on the shaft end of the cylinders' spindle allows mounting of ball heads, clamping hooks or other commonly used adapters.
Additional features and benefits of the AA3100 electric cylinders include:
- precise roller bearings, ball screw and guide to provide backlash-free, purely translatory motion
- a safe 24-bit multiturn encoder with high resolution, One Cable Technology (OCT) and an electronic identification plate to make the startup process go faster
- TwinCAT 3 automation software to automatically configure position travel limits and known position offset for the encoder after reading in the device’s electronic nameplate
- a range of spindle pitch options and available backlash-free holding brake to customize the cylinders to the unique requirements of any application.